Drug Class: Nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor
- AZTManagement of clients with HIV invection; prevention of maternal-fetal HIV transmission
- Mode of action: inhibits viral enzyme reverse transcriptase, an enzyme necessary for viral HIV replication
- S/E: Numbness/tingling, GI intolerance, fever, sore throat, heaache, pruritus, muscle pain, difficulty swollowing, arthralgia, insomnia, confusion, mental changes, bluish borwn bands on fingernails
- A/R: nausea vomiting, anemia, neutropenia, seizures
- Contra: life threatening allergies to zidovudine. Caution: bown marrow compromise, renal and hepatic dysfunction, decreased hepatic blood fow.
- Drug: ganciclovir, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxzole may increase risk of neutropenia; probenecid may increase concentration, risk of toxicity