Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Long metal pole w/ wire loop at the
- Wire loop is pulled over jaw only
- Pig will pull against restrainer.
Normal Porcine Values
- Temp: 102 – 103.6 (102.6)
- Pulse: 60 – 80 bpm
- 8-13 rpm
Produce largest litters and are better mothers
Meatier and grow very fast
- Year round
- Continuall polyestrous/ spontaneous ovulators
Estrous Cycle Length
Signs of Heat
- Vulva red and swollen
- Pig will stand when pressure is applied directly to their back
- 114 days
- 3 mos/3 wks/ 3 days
- Average 1.8 litters per year
- Litter size is normally 10-12
- average number of pigs weaned 8
Dip umbilicus in iodine
give iron injection
Ear notch for identification
Clip needle teeth
Pig Nutrition "slop"
- Corn/ Barley/ Oats
- Source of energy
- Soybean meal
- Source of amino acids
- Vitamins & Minerals
- Given in a mineral mix top dressing
- Pigs can die if they go 48 hours
- without water
- CNS signs are abundant when
new pigs being added to farm's herd continually
"all in/ all out"
Birth - 3 weeks of age
up to 10lbs
3-5 weeks of age
start using "creep feed"
this is the period of weaning.
5-10 weeks of age
Start feeding corn & soybean meal
10-16 weeks of age
corn & soybean meal diet
16-24 weeks of age
120-240lbs Corn & soybean meal diet
Sows give birth to piglets here
"Farrowing Crates" are usually 3'x5'
Temp should be at 68 degrees for sow.
Heat lamps should be in each crate for the piglets.
Pre starters and starter are raised here (up to 10 wks of age)
Sorted into pens by age and size
Raised here until slaughter
Pens usually have slated floors over concrete pits
Sorted by age and size
Farrow and wean... then sell weanlings
Farrow to Finish
- Farrow/ Wean/ Finish
- Sell finished pigs for slaughter
- Buys weanlings
- Finish weanlings for slaughter
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview