The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Seizure =excess energy/altered brain consciousness.
- Tonic clonic-limbs move
- Absense seizure-in a daze.
- Control of absense seizures. May act in inhibitory neuronal systems, suppresses EEL Pattern associated with absense seizures.
- Side effects-drowsiness, headache, blurred vision, pruritus, SJS, N/V/D
- Management of anxiety disorders, acute alcohol withdrawl, muscle relaxant (rigid muscles with tonic clonix seizure).
- Anadote-Flumazenel (Romazicon)-reverses sedation.
- Subdues excess energy (sedation). Initial dose offers seizure control for 15-20 minutes after administration.
Drugs for treatment of focal/partial seizures.
Carbamazepine (Tegretol, Atretol)
Treatment of refractory seizure disorders including partial seizures. Alters NA and CA channels directly/indirectly increasing acidity of GABA an inhibitory neurotransmitter thereby decreasing excessive acidity.
Barbiturate/Barbituate like drugs.
Phenobarbital (Solfoton, Luminal)
- Long term treatment of tonic-clonic and cortical seizures.
- General CNS depressant.
- Subdues excess energy.
- Stabalizes neuronal membranes and prevents hyperexcitability caused by excessive stimulation.
- Long term use-gingival hyperplasia-change in facial features.
- Cardiac issures, alters bone marrow
- Therapeutic level 10-20 mcg.
- Prevents drug withdrawal seizures.
Drugs that modulate the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA
valproic acid Depakene
- Reduces abnormal electrical activity in the brain and may also increase GABA.
- GABA inhibits overstimulation.
Meds for tonic clonic seizures
Benzodiazepam, phenobarbital, hydantoins
Tonic clonic seizure that does not end
- Status elipictus
- May learn to recognize aura
Period just after seizure