HMG-CoA Redictase Inhibitors
- Decrease rate of cholesterol production by inhibiting HMG-CoA reductase.
- Muscle pain, blurred vision, opthalmoplegia, insomnia, increased lever enzymes.
- Pregnancy Cat X. Not with lever disease. Usually taken in the evening. Increased risk of rhabdomyolysis with Erythromycin, cyclosporine, gemfibrozil, niacin, or antifungals. Toxicity with Dig or Warfarin. Increased toxicity with Grapefruit juice.
- Hyperlipidemias to lower LDL and increase HDL.
- Adjunct to diet and exercise. Slows progression of CAD. Prevents MI.
- Inhibits MHG-CoA causing a decrease in serum cholesterol