The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Flow of the heart
- 1. vena cava6. pulmonary artery11. l. ventricle
- 2. r. atrium7. LUNGS12. aortic valve
- 3. tricuspid valve8. pulmonary vein13. aorta
- 4. r. ventricle9. l. atrium
- 5. pulmonary valve10. bicuspid (mitral) valve
what part of the <3 is known as the pacemaker
SA Node (sinoatrial node)
what is a sphygmomanometer and what is it used for?
- Instrument used to measure the arterial blood pressure
- blood pressure cuff
what is vasotripsy and what is it used for?
crushing of a blood vessel to arrest hemorrhaging
where is the brachial pulse located
just above the elbow
what is the most common place for a MA to take a pulse?
Radial (thumb side of wrist)
what is endoarterectomy
surgical excision of the inner portion of an artery
understand the dif. between: veins, capillaries, arterioles, arteries
- veins: carries bld. to heart. (deoxy)
- capillaries: smallest vessels. (oxy to body)
- arterioles: smaller branches of arteries. carry bld. to capillaries.
- arteries: carries bld. away from heart (oxy)
superior vena cava
- delivers bld. from the head, neck, upper limbs, and chest
inferior vena cava
carries bld. returning from the rest of the trunk, organs in the abdominopelvic cavity and lower limbs (deoxy)
understand placement of systolic and diastolic
3 types of circulatory systems
- systemic: <3 to body
- pulmonary: <3 to lungs
- portal: between organs & lungs
what is the name of the wall in the center of the heart?
starting from outside, name the 3 layers of the heart:
pericardium/epicardium => myocardium => endocardium
know the valves and location
- TRICUSPID VALVE: between R. atrium & r. vent.
- PULMONARY VALVE: between R. vent & pulm. artery
- BICUSPID (MITRAL) VALVE: between L. vent & L. atrium
- AORTIC VALVE: between aorta & L. Vent.
what is the job of valves?
entrance or exit of each ventricle and prevents bld. from returning. ONE WAY STREET FOR BLD.
what is the main job of the circulatory system?
- transports oxygen & nutrients to the body's cells.
- transports carbon dioxide and waster materials away from the body's cells
4 main parts of the circulatory system:
how big is the heart? how much does it weigh?
what kind of condition is a lack of rhythm of the heart?