What are the steps to create a fatty acid after C site and B site are occupied?
- 1. Condensation--acyl group of C site condenses with CH2 of malonyl residue, releases a CO2. = 4 Carbon = B-ketoacyl
- (beta ketoacyl synthase)
- 2. Reduction of C=0 to form a hydroxyl group
- B-ketoacyl reductase
- 3. Dehydration to eliminate water and form a C=C
- (dehydrogatase enzyme)
- 4. Reduction of C=C using NADPH to get a fully saturated 4 carbon butyryl group.
- (reductase enzyme)
5. Move B ketoacyl butyryl group from B site to the C site, allow another acetyl malonyl to bind to B site.
6. Repeat up to 15 times
7. Cleave off C site with thioesterase to release FFA