The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mr. King is the benefactor who generously donated the money for the new children's wing in the hospital.
- One who supports or helps another (bene- good + fact to make)
- Synonyms: philanthropist, patron
- Antonyms: malefactor, nemesis, antagonist, adversary
She was relieved to find out that her tumor was benign.
- Harmless (ben good)
- Synonyms: innocuous
- Antonyms: malignant, virulent
The benevolent Cuv Scout did his good deed for the day when he helped a motorist change a tire.
- Kind; considerate (bene- good + vole wish)
- Synonyms: grscious, altruistic, magnanimous
- Antonyms: malevolent, malicious, inimical, pernicious
At th reception, the father of the bride offered a benediction, wishing the couple never-ending love and happiness.
- An expression of good wishes (bene- good + dictuc declaration)
- Synonyms: blessing, sanction
- Antonyms: curse, malediction, execration
A good journalist avoids the eupemisms of war, like "ordnance" for bombs and "collateral damage" for casualties.
The substitution of an inoffensive term for an offensive one (eu- good + pheme speech)
His touching eulogy for his fallen friend left all the mourners weeping.
- A praising tribute (eu- good + logia discourse) although associated with funerals, it has a positive tone.
- Synonyms: encomium, laudation, extolment, paean
- Antonyms: denunciation, execration, censure
When starting at a new school, Mary sought to ingratiate herself with her classmates by being excessively nice.
- To put oneself in good favor with another (in- in + grat to please)
- Synonyms: flatter, wheedle, toady, cajole
- One who receives benefits (bene- good + fic to make)
- Synonyms: heir, recipient, legatee
Don't confuse with gratuitous (adj.) unnecessary
A small payment in gratitude (grat- thank)
He let me borrow his car gratis.
Free of charge (grat- thank)
- To please (grat- please)
- Synonyms: appease, mollify, indulge
- A feeling of extreme happiness (eu- good)
- Synonyms: elation, rapture, jubilation, ecstasy
- Sweet sounding (eu- good + phon sound)
- Synonyms: mellifluous, dulcet, lyrical