5 biology chapter one hearts
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is matter and the 2 things it must have?
-anything in the universe
- -must have mass
- -must occupy space
what are the 3 phases of matter?
what are 4 examples of elements?
- -hydrogen (reactive, burns and explodes readily, very light)
- - helium (more stable than hydrogen, very light)
- -such as gold (very heavy, solid at room temperature, no radioactive, easy to form, nontoxic)
- -uranium (orange, heavy massive, pieces can go through cells, releases energy well)
what are the top 4 elements for life?
- -hydrogen (elemental...not gas)
what are an atoms subparticles?
the atomic number is also the number of ____
protons in the nucleus
-determines the type of element
what is a molecule?
2 or more atoms bonded together
what is a compound?
has 2 or more elements in it
what is the electron energy level pattern?
2, 8, 8, 8.....
if the outermost shell is ___ or ___ it it created maximim stability
what is a valence electron and what does it do?
- -the most outermost electrons
- -creats stability and ability to bond with other atoms
What are the 3 types of chemical bobds?
- -covalent bonds
- -ionic bonds
- -hydrogen bonds
what are 3 characteristics of a covalent bond and 1 example?
- -strongest bond
- -abundent in cells in body
- -formed by electron sharing
-such as hydrogen atoms
what are 2 characteristics of ionic bonding?
- -slightly weaker than covalent bonding
- -uses electron transfer
what are 2 characteristics of hydrogen bondingt?
- -very electronegative
- -the weakest of all bonds
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview