Hotze Thyroid Test
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Where is the thyroid gland located and what is it's shape?
The thyroid gland is located in the lower portion of the anterior neck in front of the trachea and is shaped like a butterfly.
How many types of thyroid hormones are there? Name them.
- There are two thyroid hormones:
- 1. Tri-iodothyronine (T3)
- 2. Thyroxine (T4)
- T3 is the most active of the two thyroid hormones.
What is the function of thyroid hormones?
- 1. Thyroid hormones govern the metabolic rate of the body. Thyroid hormones enable the cells to produce and use energy by catalyzing a series of biochemical reactions which enable the cells to extract energy from food molecules and glucose, and create energy molecules.
- 2. Thyroid hormones regulate the growth and development of the body.
How should the diagnosis of hypothyroidism be made?
The diagnosis of hypothyroidism should be made primarily on the basis of clinical history and basal body temperature.
What is autoimmune thyroiditis?
Autoimmune thyroiditis is a genetically inherited trait in which the immune system makes antibodies to the thyroid gland.
Explain how autoimmune thyroiditis affects the assimilation of thyroid hormones in the cells.
Autoimmune thyroiditis causes the liver to produce high levels of thyroid binding globulin, which bind thyroid hormone and decrease the amount of free available thyroid hormone which can be assimilated into the cells. Estrogen dominace also causes a passive resistance at the cellular level for the proper assimilation of thyroid hormones.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview