The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Rate of Natural Increase
- Depicts the annual growth rate of a country or region as a percentage. Produced by subtracting the number of deaths in a given year from the number of births.
Crude birth (or death) rate
The number of births or deaths per 1,000 of the population.
Demographic transition model
- A 4-stage conceptualization that tracks the changes in birth and death rates as a population urbanizes.
- Stage 1: Pre-industrial; birth and death rates both high.
- Stage 2: Transitional; death rates fall, birth rates still high, producing a dramatic increase in the RNI.
- Stage 3: Transitional; birth rates fall.
- Stage 4: Industrial; birth and death rates both low.
- Gross National Income
- GDP plus net income from abroad.
- A short-term indicator.
- Purchasing Power Parity
- A qualification to GNI per capita that takes into account the strength or weakness of the local currency.
- Human Development Index
- Combines data on life expectancy, literacy, educational attainment, gender equity (the ratio of male to female students enrolled in primary and secondary schools) and income.