The Integumentary System
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The skin is divided into what two layer?
- thin, superficial layer
- outermost protective layer of the skin
- composed of squamous (scaly) epithelium, stratified into several layers
innermost layer of the epidermis is composed of:
living cells and is called the strtum basale.
- thicker layer
- composed entirely of live cells
- contains blood and lymph vessels, nerves, hair follicles, sweat glands and oil glands
- layer beneath the dermnis and on top of a layer of muscle.
- specializes in the formation and storage of lipocytes
- cushions and protects underlying areas.
- serves as a heat insulator
- combination of three pigments:
brown-black pigment produced by melanocytes, found mostly in the basal layer of the epidermis
a yellowish pigment found in parts of the epidermis and dermis.
- 98.6 degrees F
- 37 degrees C
- protects hair shaft (dead) outer part
- around root is hair follicle
- stimulated by cold or fear
- these muscles contract making the hair stand erect.
tightly packed epidermis cells
where nail grows
white bc air has mixed w the keratin
oil gland that produces sebum
become active during puberty, secreting a milky sweat into the hair follicle.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview