Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
synthesize poteins destined either for incorporation into cell membranes or for export from the cell.
- ("network within the cytoplasm")
- Extensive system of interconnected tubes and parallel membranes enclosing fluid- filled cavities (cisternae)
Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum
- External surface is covered with ribosomes
- Well developed in most secretory cells, antibody-producing plasma cells, and liver cells -> produce most blood proteins
- The cell's "membrane factory" b/c integral proteins and phosholipids that form part of all cellular membranes are manufactured there.
Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum
Consits of tubules arranged in a looping network
important role in calcium ion storage and release during muscle contraction
- Consists of stacked and flattened membranous sacs
- "traffic director"
- Function: modify, concentrate, and package the proteins and lipids made at the rough ER
- "disintegrator bodies"
- Spherical membranous organelles containing acivated digestive enzymes
- Can digest almost all kinds of biological molecules
- Work best in acidic conditions &are caalled "acid hydrolases"
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview