The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Discuss the importance of pain control in dentistry
It has allowed the dental profession to extend oral healthcare to millions of individuals who would otherwise remain untreated.
Describe the chemical makeup and application of topical anesthetic agents.
- Is available in the form oinments, liquids, sprays and patches with each form having a slightly different application process.
- Ointment should remain on site of injection for minimum of 15sec to 30sec &maximum of 1 to 2min.
Discuss chemical makeup and application of local anesthetic agents.
- Injecting anesthetic solution near nerve, where treatment is to take place.
- cartridges are supplied in glass carpules, they have rubber or silicone stopper in one end and aluminum cap.
describe nitrous oxide/oxygen (N2O/O2) sedation and explain its use in dentistry.
- Inhalation sedation may be the safest type of sedation used in dentistry.
- It produces stage I anesthesia/analgesia by using combination of N2O and O2gases.
- Patient inhales gases through nosepiece and feels effect.
Discuss the importance of reducing the exposure of N2O/O2 for the dental team.
Scavenger system is used to reduce the amount of N2O that escapes into the atmosphere, which is then inhaled.
Discuss intravenous sedation and its use in dentistry.
- It results in minimally depressed level of consciousness.
- Patient maintains ability to keep open airway and respond appropriately to physical or verval stimulation.
Discuss general anesthesia and its use in dentistry.
- Antianxiety agents are administer- loss of protective reflexes & ability to maintain airway independently.
- Stage III